If you hadn’t seen the game and looked at the UH/ECU statistics, the first 35+ lines would tell you that ECU dominated this game. For the most part, ECU dominated the entire stat sheet except those lines that deal with turnovers.
And running the ball.
Here are a few highlights (and lowlights) that go beyond the box score:
- Houston set the tone early with two TDs and by forcing two three-and-outs from ECU.
- UH has scored 40 or more in every game this season.
- The Coogs remain 3rd in FBS scoring offense at 48.7 ppg.
- But slipped to 4th in total offense (from 1st).
- 5 of Patrick Carr’s 13 rushes went for a first down.
- ECU was the 5th game of the season where UH out-rushed an opponent by 100+ yards.
- The Coogs have out-rushed every opponent by 74 yards or more.
- UH has held every opponent below their season-average in rush yards.
- UH’s last 4 FBS opponents have thrown for more yards than UH.
- D’Eriq King remains #1 in points responsible for per game in FBS.
- King is #3 in points responsible for.
- He is 6th in passing touchdowns & 10th in rush TDs.
- King is now 7-3 as a starter (8-3 including USF 2017 where he played most of the game).
- UH has given up 20 or fewer points in games 2, 4, and 6 this year. Given up 26 or more in games 1, 3, and 5.
- 4 turnovers created. The defense feasted on turnovers in this game with 2 INTs from Herring (and a fumble) and another pick from backup QB Ifedi. The Coogs were +4 on the night.
- The Coogs are a turnover machine: UH has forced 2+ turnovers in 53 of the last 70 games.
- The Cougars are +6 in turnover margin – tied for 13th in FBS.
- 12 tackles for loss is tied for the most for UH since *at least* 2006 (tied with a few other games including USF 2017).
- UH is now 14th in the country in TFL per game.
- Dane Roy had a nice game – he punted 10 times (season high) for a 43 ypp average. 5 of his 10 went inside the 20 and 8 were fair caught.
- Roy has inched up to 22nd in net punting in the country.
- The 12 penalties are the most for a UH team since the Southern game on 8/30/2013.
- The 115 penalty yards are the most since that Southern game, too.
- UH has thrown for 3 TD passes in every game this season.
- Outside of the Tech game, UH is giving up just 21 ppg.
- The 18 first downs were a season-low.
- The 5 scoring drives took 31 plays and 10:22 of game time.
See all of the ECU game coverage at:
Do you need more UH coverage? Subscribe to our posts!
Get all GoCoogs.com stories in your inbox.
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”” group=”Public”]