The 2019 football schedule was released on Thursday. Here’s a first look at the schedule and our initial thoughts.
The 2019 Football Schedule
8/31 – (Away)
9/13 – (Friday/NRG Stadium)
9/19 – (Thursday/Away)
9/28 – (Away)
10/19 – (Away)
10/24 – (Thursday)
11/2 – (Away)
11/23 – (Away)
12/7 – (TBD)
- The Coogs do not have back-to-back home games all season.
- That’s five different stadiums in the first 5 weeks including both P5 games on the schedule. The rough part is 3 games in 13 days to start – including two top-10 teams from last year.
- There are two short-weeks in the first month: 6 days for Wazzu and 6 days for Tulane.
- One thing to watch: the injury situation coming out of the Wazzu game.
- Going to New Orleans on that short week could be the mother of all letdown games.
- The first off week of the year is after the UNT game. The Coogs will play 5 games before then. I’m very interested to see how this team responds after the off-week with a very good Cincinnati team.
- UH will play their first home game vs. an FBS team on October 12 vs the Bearcats. This is the result of moving the Wazzu game to NRG Stadium.
- SMU on a Thursday night is a joke. With only 5 games at TDECU, this hurts a potential good home crowd. More importantly, the turn-around from the furthest road game in the conference to a Thursday is goofy. The conference didn’t do us any favors.
- SMU at home is (once again) a revenge game. Dana will definitely be in their ear about how the 2018 team laid down in Highland Park. And I bet he’ll have D’Eriq King ready to play.
- Over the last 5 years, UH has played 17 regular-season games on days other than Saturday. We add 3 more with Wazzu, Tulane, and SMU.
- One bright spot: all November games are on Saturday. Players need that consistent rest as the season winds down.
- I don’t love the timing of the trip to UCF but it will come with an extra couple days rest.
- The Coogs get their second off-week before Memphis comes to town. Memphis will have that week off, too. UH hasn’t beaten the Tigers since November 2015.
- Road trips to Tulane and Tulsa during Major’s tenure resulted in losses in each. One of the ways I expect Dana to improve this program is to not let that crap happen again.
- 2019 will be the first time since 2012 that the Cougars haven’t played on Black Friday. Memphis/Cincinnati take over our spot.
What did you think of this story?
Subscription Special: $30 OFF THE 1ST YEAR
Subscribe to GoCoogs.com to gain access to our premium HOUSTON COUGAR analysis and our subscriber-only forum, The Veer. Right now, you can get a subscription to GoCoogs for just $49.99 for the first year – that’s $30 off our regular price!
1 Year Subscription – $49.99
See Subscription Benefits
*After the first year, your subscription renews at the regular price of $79.99.Share With Other Coogs!